For the past 25 years I have been involved in exploring how our personal photographic images can become meaningful additions to any ongoing personal or group contemplative and meditative practice.
In January of 1995, the Murphey Art Gallery in Tucson, Arizona, offered to display a series of my "interpretive" landscape images, photographs I had taken in various national parks across the United States. Searching for and recording these images helped me to process the grief that I was experiencing as the result of a severe brain hemorrhage that my wife had suffered in 1993. During the opening gallery reception I was approached by a member of the Functions Department at the Canyon Ranch Resort in Tucson and asked if I would put together an ongoing series of evening discussions on how to use the camera as a tool for emotional and spiritual healing. Ten years later, those initial night classes expanded into the Writing with Light series, a collection of presentations offered to guests traveling onboard the Queen Mary 2, the flagship of the Cunard Ocean Line.
2015-2017- S.D. (Certificate in Spiritual Direction) Queen of Angels Monastery, Mt. Angel, Oregon
1970-1972- M.A. (Communications), Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
1966-1970- B.A. (Religious Studies), The College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio
- Independent landscape photographer, instructor, and retreat leader.
- Photographic presentations and "field work" at Canyon Ranch Resort, Tucson, Arizona
- Owner of Illuminations, a fine art photography gallery, Tubac, Arizona
- Frequent guest lecturer onboard the Queen Mary 2 (2004-2009)
- Kodak Showtime award for an image of the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, Pemaquid, Maine.
- GAPW (Great American Photography Weekend). First place, "Otter Point". A juried show lead by Art Wolfe from the current PBS television series, Travels to the Edge.
- Maine, Naturally. A photographic collage presented to Senator Susan Collins at the Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C.
Recent Exhibitions and Past Publications
- June-September- "Openings", O'Brien Imaging Gallery, Eugene, Oregon. A photographic study of the spaces that exist betwenn the solid elements that make up our natural environments.
- August- The Hult Center (Jacob's Gallery), Eugene, Oregon. The Mayor's Art Show, a juried selection of multi-media artwork.
- This Day- Reflections and Ruminations. A book of personal writings coupled with various "interpretive" landscape Images.
- Focus on America. A photographic calendar honoring those who lost their lives on 9/11.
- Certain Passages. A collection of inspirational photo greeting cards, created as a fund raising tool for hospitals and extended care facilities.
Other Interests and Activities
- Spiritual Director, LEM (Lay Eucharistic Minister) in the Episcopal Church.
- Pet Partners- Therapy team member along with my Golden Retriever, Miss Daisy since 2014.
- Creative writing, traveling, hiking and kayaking.